80 Day Obsession was the program that I started back in January that, ultimately, ended up changing my life. I went from being completely unmotivated and incapable of committing to anything regarding my fitness these past 5-6 yrs to committing to a program that required a ton of commitment. I was giving it a shot and would see what would happens….I think that should say, I was giving MYSELF a shot and would see what would happen.
It’s an intense weight training program that involved a lot of core exercises and I was 50 lbs over weights and 3 months post partum.
- Workouts on 6 days of wk. 6 days!
- 1 Rest day on Sunday where self care is highly recommended.
- From the 6 days, 4 days of weight training/core workouts and 2 days of “Cardio” workouts. Cardio is in brackets because it’s not your typical cardio. It uses exercises that are plyo style, involving core and repetitive exercise combos in order to keep the heart racing fast and burning a ton of calories.
- 80 different workouts.
- 13 wks split into 3 phases.
- Equipment is required. Dumbbells that are light, medium and heavy, resistance bands and sliders. All of which you use on a very regular basis.
- Timed Nutrition is the game here. And what does that mean exactly?
o I’ll tell you! Your body will be working very hard during this program. Perhaps harder than you’ve ever had to work before. It’s no joke. That said, your body will need a certain amount of food to fuel it Yes, even when weightloss is the objective. In this plan, not only does the amount and type of foods matter but WHEN you eat those foods, as well.
- Heavy importance in eating around your workout schedule. For example, it’s recommended to eat a certain amount of time BEFORE you workout out and a certain amount of time AFTER in order to fuel your body in the times your body NEEDS to be. Remember, this is a tough program. Your body will thank you!
- There is no calorie counting or weighing. Portions are determined by colour coded portion containers for each type of food (example, red for proteins, yellow for carbs).
- Based on your current weight and goal there is a nutrition planned assigned to you to give you the right amount of reds, yellows and all the other colours!
- Meal prep is encouraged since you will be eating about 5 times a day including your 2 snacks.
o Meal prepping just makes it easier to stick to plan. It may take you 2-3 hours on a Sunday afternoon but you’ll be grateful you took that time. You won’t have to think about what to eat the whole wk and you can make it such you can cook the same food for the whole family since this plan is pretty inclusive.
- As you go through the program you will be prompted to review which plan you should be on as your weight will shift.
OK, so the important part. Does this program yield results? The answer is very simple. YES! But I’ll warn you. It may not reflect much on the scale. In fact, in my 1st month I lost about 6 lbs but it LOOKED like I lost almost 3 times that. Because of the weights involved in the program and the way it’s designed plus following the meal plan, my body was drastically changing. THIS was the norm with many that did the program, especially those lifting weights that were really challenging their muscles further and further every week.
That’s said, the pictures you see here reflect my personal results after each of the phases. Pretty great, right?! So, here’s the thing. This is why it’s important to measure your success in more than just what the scale is telling you. Take your measurements, take a ton of pictures from all angles of your body and KEEP TAKING PICTURES.
When 1st starting this program, my fitness knowledge and background took the best of me and I was utterly SHOCKED at the people participating. You had people that were 200 lbs over weight, over 60 yrs of age, pregnant…the list goes on. SHOCKED because this program is VERY tough. But these awesome people were doing it to the best of their abilities and, they too, saw incredible results.
I’m still on the fence to who I would recommend this program to but it is VERY effective. There are modifiers to all the moves and, of course, you can always press pause if you need a break. Why on the fence, you may ask…well, very simple. Due to the intense workouts and charged schedule, I would highly recommend doing it with the right support and guidance. Without it, it will be difficult to stick to it till the end. Where do you go if you have questions….cause you will have questions. And, of course, on days you feel tired and very sore, and you need to just get up and get it done, more than half will not. Not because they’re incapable but it’s hard and our bodies hurt so that extra push from ppl around you will be crucial. This is why the accountability groups are so great. Everyone is there to help out; Coaches and Challengers alike.
Recently, with the launch of 2BMindset, many people have shifted their nutrition plan to that and continuing their workout programs. Although this is ok and will definitely bring on weightloss, I, personally, do not recommend that shift for 80 Day Obsession. The calorie deficit with 2BMindset (although you don’t have to think about the calories, really) is big. My concern is that it won’t give you the fuel you need to complete the program as it was intended but it is a personal choice. Speaking to your Coach about it will be crucial in order to determine the best course of action for you. A meal plan, though never easy, must fit YOU. Your style and preferences.
It’s tough but HIGHLY effective. It’s requires commitment, perseverance, will, determination. All things you may not know you have in you. ALL things that you may know you DO NOT have but here’s the thing. With the right support and guidance along with consistency on your part, which WILL come with all the goodness around you, this program WILL work for you.
And, I promise, this program WILL change your life. You will learn things about yourself you, either, forgot about or didn’t even know was in you.
It’s a game changer. It’s a life changer! But it will take work. It won’t be easy. And I’m going to say it, you will most likely shed some tears. No, a lot of tears. In the beginning because it’s hard to commit to something daily for any period of time that doesn’t involve work or your family responsibilities. You will cry for time lost prior to this. You will cry because your muscles will be sore. You will cry because it may be difficult to makes some sacrifices in order to be able to commit to this. But You will, also, cry of happiness because you will not only look better, but you will FEEL better. You will cry because you accomplished something great. Because it is a big frickin deal!
Personally, this was THE program that changed my life and brought ME back. And for this, I will forever be grateful.